Friday, January 27, 2012

Turner

So I apologize for the complete randomness of this post but today I am going to talk about the third man in my life... Turner.
This is for two reasons:
      1. When I started this blog I said there would be a possibility that Turner would pop up in my posts from time to time and then has yet to happen.
      2. Someone told me there were bored so I am trying to bring some mild entertainment to her life today.

Don't be fooled when I say that Turner is third man in my life, I don't really mean that with as much adoration as it comes across. But to get to where I am today, I guess I need to start at the beginning.

When my Dad and Ceil first got Biscuit (their first pug), I completely feel in love with the idea of getting a dog myself. Keith and I researched and decided that a puggle would be the perfect dog for me. Wanting to get a puppy and finding out that they were about $500 from the breeders was not my ideal situation though, so the dog dream went on hold for a bit.

About a year and a half later, I was talking to a co-worker whose mom had rescued a puggle from an unsuitable owner. The owner was keeping the dog kennelled up all day and only letting him out for bathroom breaks. I decided that I had to meet this dog.

Later that week, Keith and I went over to meet Turner and I should have been warned right there and then. :) The dog was nuts. He couldn't stop running around us and jumping up on our legs to be pet. But of course we fell in love. The next day Keith picked him up and brought him home for me. It did help that he came free of charge, updated with all his shots, a kennel, leash, dog bowls and a couple weeks supply of food.

As soon as we got Turner home, the craziness continued. We chalked it up to the fact that he had been kennelled for so long and he must just be so happy to be free and with owners that loved him. Every once in awhile he could settle down and just sit and snuggle with you which I know is what started Keith's love affair.

One weekend I was bringing him back from Keith's apartment to mine, when he threw up in my car. As I was driving, I couldn't tell exactly what was going on. When I pulled over and went to clean up the mess, I figured out that it was a sock, in its entirety, that Turner had thrown up. I got everything cleaned and got him up to my apartment just to have him throw up another entire sock about an hour later. Really, that first one was so good, you just had to go back for the second!

So that is how the next couple of years with Turner went, we loved him but the dog was crazy! When Liam came around, things drastically changed. For example, I no longer wanted Turner on the couch because his hair was everywhere and I just wanted a clean environment for my brand new baby boy. He was no longer free to roam the house because he could very easily get into Liam's things and God knows how many baby socks his stomach could hold. And the barking/crying/whimpering during nap and bed time was just not going to fly with me!
So not only was Turner adjusting to all that but he was also adjusting to not being number 1 in the house anymore. He has some pretty stiff competition and I think we are all still adjusting. Although he can be a major thorn in my side I know, and Keith reminds me of this all the time, that he has unconditional love for all of us. +
And the thing is as Liam gets older, he has more and more love for Turner as well. He quite frequently lets out a squeal when he sees the dog and is constantly trying to "pet" him. I know that growing up with a dog in the house will be great for him (although I also know that means we will probably have a dog for the rest of our lives and I don't know how keen I am on that.)

So even though Turner can get on my nerves and there are numerous times I let him get under my skin way more than I should, there is nothing like the companionship of a dog (for Keith and Liam ;)) and I think we will keep him for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment