Monday, January 30, 2012

Pinterest Inspired

A LONG time ago, we were on a walk around the neighborhood and passed a house that had a big pile of "junk" in the front yard with a sign that said "Free". Having just discovered Pinterest a few days earlier, I decided to stop and take a look and see if I could find something inspiring. In the pile there was a old wooden two frame window. Not nearly as cool as all the multi-pane ones used for projects you see floating around Pinterest, but I knew I would regret if I didn't pick it up.
Well that window had been sitting out on the screen in porch for quite some time and this weekend it was time to actually do something with it.
I am not going to lie, Keith actually did most of the work on this project starting with breaking the glass out. He then sanded the wood down and the both of us gave it a quick coat of paint. He then attached a thin board (with our newly purchased staple gun) to the back of the frame.
On one side of the frame, I attached some cheap cork board that I just used a box cutter to cut to shape.
http://www.amazon.com/Cra-Z-Art-Classic-Tiles-Inches-12121/dp/B002M78G0K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1327935188&sr=8-4
And on the other side, thanks to another pin on Pinterest, I used this chalkboard contact paper (which was on sale when I bought it.)
http://www.amazon.com/Kittrich-Corporation-Chalkboard-Contact-Paper/dp/B000KKMO90/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1327935229&sr=1-1-spell
I have never used chalkboard paint but I have to say this contact paper was the easiest thing ever, just line it up and stick it on and there is no mess.

So the finish product is now in hanging in our kitchen and cost approximately $16.00. This is not the greatest picture (common theme to my blog) but I love it and I think it looks great. Can't wait to know write all my Pinterest found quotes on the chalkboard. Right now it says "Happy 1st B-day Liam!" (Only 3 more days!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment